3.31.2012

Two Weekends Ago

In the fast pace of the past few weeks, I haven't had a chance to post about my travels over a four day weekend in March.  Due to the amazing school system for which I work, we had March 16 and 19 off; these days were a welcome respite for a more tired than usual, work stressed Deca.  As always God worked so that I didn't miss quality time with SPK because he needed 'basement time'.  So, I set out on a quick journey to catch up with close friends & family.  Friday AM I left bound for Richmond and a long overdue lunch with ACE, my friend and cousin.  I was able to see where she works and to hear updates on life.  After lunch, I left to do some shopping at cute Richmond stores. All the while listening to the NCAA tournament games via ESPN radio and text updates from my dad; a Yay! for modern technology!  Later that evening, I had dinner with ACE, Fafa, and Donnie.  More special family catch-up time.  These people have known me forever, pray for us, and it was good to share and listen about life with them. 
Beginning at 7:25 AM Saturday morning, I spent a few hourse with Sarah, Tag Sales, and deals, deals, deals!  We work well together as we catch-up on life in lines for the Sales, over piles of consignment items, and in the joy of great deals.  I was able to check a few things off my list, which made me a happy girl!  It was good to see Sarah, even though our time was short.  We had accomplished our goal by 9:45 AM, two Sales complete, and from this point, I began the drive to NoVA.  Can I please say, I love a road trip for a number of reasons?  One being, it reminds me why I don't live near a big city like D.C.  Traffic was not my cup of tea & there are some not-so-safe drivers out there. Gladly, I made it safely (a few prayers and Spirit uplifting radio as assistance).
As I approached Arlington, I realized I hadn't seen my friend Missy for at least 5 years.  This is a crime, people, a crime!  I don't understand how life gets so busy that a 5 hour drive seems impossible.  But, somehow, that is just what happened to me; however, it made seeing her and Jason that much more exciting!  They are also remodeling their house and due with Baby Boy Small in May.  I like to think of them as 'kindred spirits', as well as determined, high-achieving, and yes, just as we are, a little out of our minds.  ;)  While others stress about nurseries being finished, purchasing furniture, and the norm; we don't even think about those things.  Instead, we stress about subjects such as having a roof on the nursery or the nursery having little things like walls or the simple item of floors covered with carpet or hard-wood versus subfloors.  Seeing their construction zone made me feel 'at home' in ways others will never understand.  And, when the finished product is revealed, it will be beautiful and wonderful and amazing!  Missy and I enjoyed lunch at a quaint, French restaurant where we caught up about years and years of just living.  It was a joy to see her, to pray over lunch with her, and to commit to continue to lift her up to our Lord. 
After a long lunch, I traveled a few miles to see Jenna, a favorite person from high school days.  Again, it was a time of sharing, laughter, and just good friends.  We watched Talisker, her little pup, race through her backyard and I finally saw her new house.  This house is fabulous because the front is traditional brick while the back is completely redone with an open living/kitchen/breakfast space topped by a brand new Master bedroom/bath/closet combo!  (Her house gave me hope for us and the Smalls!)  We walked to dinner, The Lost Dog which reminded me of living in England.  Our conversation flew from shared England experiences to our current furry children to human children to NCAA basketball to marriage to high school friends and back to what matters most, God's continuous work in our lives.  My weekend ended the next morning as we talked over breakfast and I climbed back into the car for the drive home. 
It was a whirlwind of sweetness.  Thanks to all my dear friends who shared with me, prayed with me, and allowed me to break into your life for a short time.  Always know, you are welcome here...as soon as the construction zone becomes livable!  Haha!  And, if it is sooner, we will have dinner on the deck.  Next time, I hope to bring the rest of the fam! :)

No comments: