As of December 18, 2011, I still have not completed the following list. (And, yes, I am fully aware that Christmas morning is now six days away.):
-Christmas cards
-wrapping gifts
-buying gifts
-decorating the tree
-grocery shopping for Christmas weekend recipes
Yet, who cares? I know that response is a bit strong, but really? In the scheme of things, in light of this time of year and what it is REALLY about, I am not stressing. Instead, I am taking each moment as it comes. Granted, I had plans for today but no sleep last night put me yet another day behind. So, how am I still functioning and joyful and intent on smiling versus grinching? Because, it's CHRISTmas. It's not about gifts. It's not about plans. It's not about parties, cards, decorating, or cooking (thank God it is not all about cooking! phew). Instead, it is about the story conceived by God, not man. It is about a Savior, born as a baby, who would later hang on a cross, for me, for you, and then beat death forever. It's about the light that shines before me, that brightens my path even in the midst of heartache, normal monotony, and joy. The following is my list of how lately God has continued to write our story, instead of us choosing our own.
-Worship time with fellow followers has been crucial to my survival. Making the effort to be there has been difficult but the Christmas spirit has shined in scripture and fellowship.
-Time with family. We met baby K last weekend and hung out with SK, RK, and Tot. Friday night, I finally had the opportunity to catch up with Lizard about India! Saturday morning, I sat by the fire making lists with my mom. We spent Saturday with SPK's family, then had dinner with Summer and Uncle Mike.
-True friends and their commitment to honesty with me--My sweet friend Bec and I finally caught up with a phone conversation. Catching up with SK. Praying with Liz H. about life. Coffee dates with my 'Jenn friends'. Lizard's India story.
-Scott and I focusing on the joy of communicating. Looking back at how God has blessed our relationship and how He continues to do so.
-Reading books--fiction and nonfiction. Sing You Home by Picoult, Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tripp, and a re-read One Thousand Gifts by Voskamp.
-Charley--his constant love and how he showers us with it.
-Soda water and lime
-Learning to be intentional about lifting up those who are hurting in this season which can be heart-wrenching for some.
Lamentations 3:21-24
But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul "therefore I will hope in Him".
Chasing down joy even in the midst of an unfinished list.
No comments:
Post a Comment