9.27.2011

Tree Bark

Lately, I've been singing along with the Mumford & Sons' lyrics below.  They caught my attention when I was thinking of a dear friend who is in the midst of trying times.  Then, I remembered I connected as well.  I am not saying my interpretation is what the artists intended; however, the words ring true for me where I am right now.  In this moment of waking against a morning made of tree bark.  Where physically I am hungering for more time with eyes closed to the world.  Where I awoke to a mind in the midst of battle, fighting against my own fears, the reality of what today brought and brings with it; the stifling reality of tomorrow for others.  Where the pounds found in breathing seem a little too much to bear.  Living up against today was gritty, rough to the touch, able to break skin and make it bleed, immoveable when seeing the height of reality in front of me.  Then, Timshel's lyrics came to mind.  Another connection...Timshel is the Hebrew word for "thou mayest". 

Cold is the water
It freezes your already cold mind
Already cold, cold mind
And death is at your doorstep
And it will steal your innocence
But it will not steal your substance

But you are not alone in this
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand and we'll hold your hand
Hold your hand…
And I will tell the night
Whisper, "Lose your sight"
But I can't move the mountains for you

And now?  How do I face a tree bark hewn 24 hours?  How do I not allow my very substance to be stolen?  How do I face the night that is my day without loss of hope?
Not by my strength.  Not by my courage.  Not with my control.
But, with knowing timshel; I can't, but He can.  The mountains, trees will always stand tall before me.  I will look diminutive in comparison.  He does not.  In trust and truth, I rest under His care.  For the now, I will lean on His promises and face the now with His grace.  As a good friend said, "the valleys are precious times because it is then we realize He is near.  It is worth the hurt."  The bark may rub but my heart is steadfast by the power of an all loving, compassion filled Lord.   
I believe I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 
Be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord.
Psalm 27:13-14

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Your posts always encourage my heart. It's as if they speak directly to what I am experiencing at the time. I am so glad to know that we have one that we can put our confidence in that doesn't tire of restoring our soul.