2.01.2011

Weekend Away, Surprise on Return

This past weekend we dedicated to time with each other. It was a priceline/gift certificate/coupon booked trip, which frankly, are my favorite kind! Every now and then, when I get overwhelmed, Scott will look at me and say "Let's do a weekend." So, a few weeks ago, he said just that, and we did. Friday night we drove up the "back way", I think the road is 460 or 360 or some combination of numbers; it did not have an "I" at the beginning. Scott chose the road and it was a definite positive addition. In spite of Winter being the season, the beauty of mountains, then rolling farms and historic, old battlefields, made the drive scenic and rustic. The houses were a span from "holy cow, that is a person's house" to obviously abandoned years ago. In addition, (this is so how I think), we actually hit 23.4 mpg in the Pilot! The first few hours were a treat between scenery, conversation, and the IPOD on a random mix. Our hotel was nice and after dinner, HGTV lulled me to sleep, but kept Scott up and interested.
Saturday morning we slept until 8:30. Perplexed, are you? I thought this was a relaxing weekend away and they woke up at 8:30??!! One word in answer to your confused state of mind: Tot. Ok, three words: Tot, Sarah, Rhett. We made a quick trip to Panera for the old faithful Everything bagel and arrived on their doorstep for a few hours of catching up and hearing a few of my new fav't vocab words: Cott, Mamma, Dadda, Deca, and...you get the point. If only you could hear how she says the words. Your heart would melt. It was a short but sweet visit with family. Rhett and Sarah were under the weather and next time, we plan to take the Tot for a few hours to give them time, as long as they can part with her for a little while. ;)
On Scott's request, the rest of Saturday was Capital Ale House, a short visit to the B&N parking lot so I could dowload a book (haha), and a much needed nap. Our evening was dinner at Fleming's, which we liked, but we only had an entree each (i.e. no salad, no apps, no sides) and that used ALL our gift cards. After glancing at the menu, Sarah's earlier "You're going to need those." quickly came to light. So, if you want to take out another mortgage, Fleming's is a good meal choice! Just kidding about the mortgage but I would definitely plan to spend a lot. It was a good experience but Stephen's still stands as our romantic, special restaurant of choice.
Sunday we window/plan-shopped for the house and came home to mom & dad's for taco night. When we arrived, crabcakes, scallops, and birthday cakes were there, instead. It was a surprise bday dinner complete with Liz and Jens coming back through after a weekend at Snowshoe. We were showered with gifts, good food, and best of all, family. And, it was a surprise! I love those!
To close, we are thankful for our amazing family. Thanks to Rhett, Sarah, and Tot for making our Saturday morning wonderful. (I love the bracelet...I cheated and opened it early!) Thanks to Liz and Jens for stopping and for caffeine in gift card form. Thanks to Josh and Allie for sharing another bday celebration and for our thoughtful gifts. Thanks to mom and dad for amazing food, taking the time to decorate, and for gifts, which will be used well.

No comments: