12.22.2009
A Celebration of Commitment & God's Grace
Today is December 22nd and the 36th wedding anniversary of my parents. What a special day to celebrate...their wedding anniversary always sneaks up on me because it is right on top of Christmas day, but it is a sweet surprise. Yesterday, Mom and I shopped all day doing last minute Christmas shopping, early gift finding for NEXT Christmas, and making sure she was ready for the 22nd. Then, we came home and had dinner with our husbands. We watched 'The Sing-Off", ate spaghetti, and wrapped some presents. Before dinner, Dad pointed out a gift that was sitting on the kitchen cabinet. The tag read TO: Debbie FROM: your boyfriend. Mom laughed while Dad huffed around the kitchen, furious that 'her boyfriend' sent her a gift, yet again for December 22nd. Later that night, Mom came down the stairs with her gift for Dad and exclaimed "DANG it! Your girlfriend left you a gift on the front porch! THAT woman." Ok, so in all the silliness I realized how wonderful it is to have two parents, who love each other in spite of knowing all one another's faults, and who give ALL the credit to our great God...well and a little credit to being stubborn! They were teasing with each other all nite and allowed Scott and I to stay while they opened their gifts to one another. And yes, though simple, the gifts were perfect and perfectly ordinary, but in the giving they made each other smile. Scott and I left with hugs good-bye and the sweet reminder that life, given and blessed by God, is often times normal, but incredibly precious. And then, in the midst of the joking, I know my Daddy will always be my Mom's 'boyfriend', and she will always be my Dad's 'girlfriend'. Feelin' the love and praying for the same for Scott and me. Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment