To begin, Torre stayed with a friend last night, which left me all alone in a huge house, on a mountain on the edge of the forest. Don't get me wrong, there are neighbors; however, if my life depended on it, I am not sure I could reach the neighbors for safety if I was say, in a footrace with a wild creature. Once again, last night as Torre pulled out of the driveway, I took the trashcan down. (WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE TRASH?) Nevertheless, I was here, alone. The night went ok. I wake up at any noise and at 3:00 AM, I startled awake, but couldn't figure out why. 5:45 AM arrived and I pulled myself out of bed. I was ready within an hour, so I headed downstairs to the kitchen.
The kitchen has a breakfast nook with a wall of windows. Directly outside the windows are the bird feeders. After taking the trash down, I had forgotten the feeders until after it was dark. So I left them out overnight. (I do NOT go outside after dark! Forest? Creatures? Night time? Nope.) As I turned on the light in the kitchen, I realized the feeder looked like it was crooked. I walked over to the window thinking "Uh oh. The feeder got knocked down by a raccoon." As I reached the window ledge, instinct carried me for the next few minutes. I looked out the window and my mind said to me "Krista, there is movement to your right. Look to your right." Smart brain, I have. There was movement to my right and it belonged to a BLACK bear!!! At this point, it all seems a bit of a blur. He
was approximately 4 feet to the right of me, looking right at me, and pawing the ground, coming BACK to the window. He must have heard me or seen the light come on in the kitchen?? I froze for a millisecond as I made eye contact with him, then backed away, ran to the light switch, turned them off, and yes, I DOVE behind the kitchen island. I am not ashamed. As I sat there, shaking, and hyperventilating, I decided I had to see where he was, so I peeked my head over the island. Dumb idea, Krista. There he was on his freakin' hind legs, with his ears popped, looking for me. I ducked. The following thought ran through my mind "He wants to eat me for breakfast" simultaneously with "I am going to be late for work OR not going to ever make it to work!" Long story short, I crawled. Yes, people, I crawled on my hands and knees over tiled floors to get to my school bag, back to the fridge to rescue my lunch and then sat hunched down under the island for 5 minutes. All this time, I could hear him growling at the bird feeders and smacking them around on the stone walkway outside. (Yea, I was picturing him doing it to me and continuing to gasp for breaths of air.) Finally, I made the decision to SPRINT for the garage and my car; this trek included crossing the window where my 'friend' was chillin'. As I sprinted, I did NOT look back. And can I please say, I do not think I have ever reversed a car at quite the velocity of speed with which I used this morning. To end, he wasn't huge, but then again, he wasn't small. We've often called Rhett's Newfie "Homer" a 'bear'. Not doing that anymore. Looks nothing like a bear. In fact, I'm guessing, all 120 lbs of Homer would have fit 2-3 times inside this bear. Also, I am not looking forward to tomorrow morning. In fact, I am dreading the moment when I walk into the kitchen. If the bear is waiting for me, I've been told to bang pots together. For real? I did get the bird feeders in this afternoon while there was daylight and most likely, they will not be returning to their roost outside the kitchen window. Then, this afternoon, Torre laughed at me when I told him the story. He included this tidbit of info. Last time the bear made a visit, his mom actually sat at the kitchen table, taking pictures of the bear. Yea, don't think the probability of that happening while I am here is very high, either. That's all for today ya'll.
No comments:
Post a Comment