First, can I please say I was scared out of my mind up to the last minute before my feet started pounding the pavement? I was a wreck but Elizabeth was there to give me a last minute pep talk, BI stuck with me for the first mile, a lady named Barbara from Florida just happened to run with me for miles 6-8, a few nice bystanders cheered me on by name (which is awesome) and I saw Scott, Dad and Mom about mile 10! Each person helped me survive my first half-marathon. (Notice I did not say first and last!?)
Friday nite sleeping was off and on between nerves, BI's watch alarm going off and the lightning/thunderstorm that hit! We woke and prepared ourselves for the miles ahead thinking it would be high 40s outside, when to our complete surprise it was ALREADY the mid 60s outside, humidity was high and there was a definite breeze brewing...We were dropped off about 8 blocks from the start so we used that to jog and warm up a bit. After that, the weather just got warmer and the wind decided to blow harder.
Overall, after finding out what IT bands were a mere two weeks before the half, I had to reorganize my goals. I had three, in order of importance:
1) Finish in under 2:15
2) Finish in under 2:30
3) Finish period!
My finish time was 2:28 and I am content with that for my first time running a 13.1 mile race. I was frustrated with my knees by mile 5 and in pain by mile 6 but I persevered and completed the goal set before me! And can I please just say it was a bit warm, especially for November 15? Geez! I do look forward to the next race and in the meantime, I look forward to a week of rest, ice, anti-flammatories, stretches and soreness because they all mean I accomplished my goal!
Thanks again to all who were praying, sent messages, supported us and cheered us on! I love you all and you were part of what made it possible! A supportive cheerleading section is a definite bonus! A special thanks to those who housed us and came to yell for us...and thanks for the Sour Patch kids!
Until the next run...
No comments:
Post a Comment