Last weekend, Scott and I left Charley in the capable hands of Uncle Mike and took a whirlwind 36 hour trip to Nags Head, NC! Our purpose was first to spend time with our friends the Howells and to relax. The time with friends was well worth the 12 hours we spent traveling to and from the beach! Shawn, Heather and the Tuckers welcomed us Friday night. Saturday morning we went out for breakfast and then basically spent time talking, lounging, watching TV and snoozing. I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on, Scott and Shawn talking and the dogs pacing! For anyone who knows me, that is a FEAT in itself; however, I think it also proved how exhausted I am lately! Of course, we went out to a sports bar Saturday nite to catch the lukewarm performance of VT versus Duke...ugh. Considering VT's performance you wouldn't think we had such a great time, but I had a blast just being with friends. Heather and I spent time sharing about teaching, and she and Shawn continually mentioned little Avery (who I am dying to meet!)! It was a perfect weekend at the beach despite the chilling temperatures! Thanks to the Howells for having us and for being friends who can easily pick up where we last left off...
On the subject of thanks, after our little trip, Thanksgiving rushed to greet us...As we traveled to Nags Head Friday, dad called to inform us about our friend Duane Perdue. Duane's been fighting leukemia for awhile now, and the doctors informed him that his fight will end soon. Despite the difficult news, my heart immediately began to pray for Duane, his parents, John (his bro) , Connie (his sweet sis-in-law) and Duane's closest friends. My heart breaks for his family and I am simply praying that God will provide the time they need to love Duane through the time he has left. I don't understand why it has to be this way and I was a bit frustrated; the whole situation took me back to when Josh was diagnosed with what the docs thought was sarcoma. My reaction was an immediate distrust of a faithful, continually forgiving and gracious God; then I see Duane and John facing something familiar but so much more tramautic. And I praise God that they see His grace in the midst of the seeming unfairness of it all. My prayers are that God would be the rock the Perdues need and that Duane would hear God's "well done". In hurt, may their family find God's all-knowing love...And may I be drawn closer to Him and be taught that He is in control, He knows better than I do and may His will be done.
Thanks be to our great God and Heavenly Father.
1 comment:
Hey girl! We had a blast too! We'll have to do it again when it's warmer. We can throw Avery into the mix and take the "relaxation" part right out of it. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'll keep him and his family in my prayers. There is nothing more frustrating than the feeling of helplessness cancer causes as you try not to "watch the clock" when your loved one faces limited time. I'll pray they receive the peace, mercy, and grace God gave me when I lost my dad.
Post a Comment