10.23.2008

CODE

What is the first thing you think when you hear the word CODE? Maybe secret code? Code red? If you watch Grey's much, 'he's coding!'? As a result of attaining a new battery, this past weekend the word CODE appeared on the face of my car radio. To a Honda Accord, the word CODE means the radio does not work. I'm not talking about the volume or the dial change, no, the entire system: radio, clock, CD, tape player, you name it, nothin.

I have driven to work 4 days this week and will drive to work again tomorrow morning. After spending approximately 5 hours commuting to and from work I decided CODE might have a different meaning. Every morning has been filled with the colors of the sunrise and one-on-one time for me and my Heavenly Father. Prayer to the tune of a silent car is at first difficult to swallow. Background noise, be it morning talk shows, music or the touch of my fingernail against the buttons continually changing the station, is just that, noise. I needed this week of silent trips to work. God is good and He works in His ways.

Code. When it comes to knees, my 30 year old dancer's knees, they don't want to work. This would be another meaning for the word code. Nowadays, the lack of working knees tends to dampen the mood of a planned 10 miler this coming Saturday, but in light of how a 'coding radio' actually worked to focus my heart where it should have been in the beginning...well, I'll befriend advil, ice packs, massaging perpendicular to my ligament (who knew?) and simply slowing down for now.

Next time I hear or see the word code it will have this week ever attached to it and I will smile on its past meanings.

No comments: