For the first time, I trained with a group of people, on a regular schedule, with a Coach...and my little boy, in a stroller. It was good, so good. I ran with my group on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. Mostly, we ran the Roanoke Greenway. We stretched before and after running, shared our frustrations, our excitement, and just ran. And...I loved it. Overall, I felt better. SPK did cover for me on Saturday mornings because strollers weren't allowed. And, for this, I am entirely grateful. The time running on my own, was delightful. We trained for the Drumstick Dash on Thanksgiving Day. I ran with my friend TL, we left our group a mile in and finished with a respectable time.
Over December and January I continued to train with Fleet Feet, up to 4.5 miles. AND it was freezing cold. We ran Tuesday/Thursday evenings...a few nights the temps were single digits and I ran through snow. Winter running, though cold, is absolutely beautiful.
In February, I signed up to train for the Blue Ridge 10k. I DID train. Hill training on Thursday nights. Let me tell you, hills around our area are called mountains. It was challenging. I never thought I'd train that hard for a run. Running the same .5 mile hill three-four times in a row...each time I learned how to push past the "this is impossible" or "I can't do this". I ran up Mill Mtn. I ran up to seven miles on a long run. To top it all off, I ran the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC with SPK by my side & Auntie Liz pushing F in the BOB the entire way!!
I've kept up with running until the last few weeks (end of June). I miss it but for now the heat & my exhaustion are too much. I'm looking forward to starting up again in October.
"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter
how fast or how far.
how fast or how far.
There is no test to pass,
no license to earn,
no membership card to get.
You just run."
John Bingham
no license to earn,
no membership card to get.
You just run."
John Bingham
1 comment:
You know I LOVE this one!!!! So perfect!
Post a Comment