1.08.2013

The Original Post-Its

One of my undergrad papers focused on the theology of Jonathan Edwards. Initially, I chose to write about him because I felt drawn to his heart for the gospel and his way with words. Then, it was a goal of mine to tackle writing about the pastor known solely (for the most part) for his sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" and to show others how much more there was to the man, that specific sermon, and his ideas about the one true God. Finally, I considered writing about him to be a challenge. Why? My supervisor, the professor for whom I would be writing the paper, vehemently disagreed with Edwards' theology on many levels. My hope was for her to see him from another perspective, and perhaps to sway her in his direction. Long story short, Dr. Warren and I had a few one-on-one discussions about my paper. Although, I didn't change her mind about Edwards, I do remember her complimenting my passion and the way in which I challenged her thinking about him as a pastor and theologian.
From that time, I've enjoyed learning more about his life. One facet of Edwards, which I appreciate greatly, was his love of nature. This love pointed him towards his Creator God and the beauty with which God designed our world. One quirky fact about Edwards are his nature walks. I will give credit to my Dad for sharing this tidbit with me. Often, if not daily, Edwards would go out for walks in nature. Upon his return home, his coat would be covered with bits of paper pinned haphazardly to its surface. Each piece of paper held a point about something in the beauty or wonder of nature and how each pointed towards the great God he served.
Edwards simple idea of 'the original Post-Its' is akin to my new hope. I've mentioned the book 1,000 Gifts a few times in the past and this year, my goal is to reach past the 1,000 gifts Voskamp encourages. Why? For both Edwards' and Voskamps' reasonings ring true. When I see the daily beauties surrounding me, I tend to acknowledge them in my head, but then I keep moving and they become part of the blurry, passing scenery. For 2013, I want to be active in making lists in journals or sticking Post-Its to the walls of my home or jotting down snippets of time on old receipts or typing on this blog, the daily reasons to lift thanksgiving to Jesus. Those graces, which point me to His beauty and provision. The daily lessons, through which I struggle, but in which I grow. Heart moments. Silly seconds frozen in time through the gift of word. Fought for instances, battle scarred and balm filled, which when looking back show strength-God's, weakness-mine. Shining specks of glory on this earth, which leave wonder faced awe and upturned smiles on the floor of my memory. Seemingly small happenings, otherwise easily forgotten, but when captured in ink, become reminders of His consistent work on this soul.
So here's to lining life with thanks, etching graces on paper, and breathing deeply with eyes that seek to see and remember each and every day.

No comments: