At least that is what I convinced myself of at 4 o'clock this morning as I rocked my baby boy back to dreamland. I realized his back is not only larger than my hand but the length of him doesn't fit on my chest any longer. They tell you how fast they grow and you nod, smile, turn to other things on your to-do list before baby's arrival. Then, on a random early Friday morning in November, when he's almost four months old, the comment speeds back to your fogged brain as you hold him in your arms, and you realize, it's happening...this growing fast out of infancy to the little person he is going to be.
Oh, I've marveled at the fact that his weight gain has been crazy fast and his chubby legs are definite proof of it. Or how he now simultaneously grins and bats his eyelashes when Charley comes up to him. The grins because he likes this furry family member and the eyelash batting because he's experienced a tongue or tail caress a time or two. I've bottled up the moments where he laughs out loud, grabs onto a toy and immediately chomps on it, where he will talk with me throughout our mornings together, or how he can be screaming and then fast asleep in a matter of 15 seconds. I cherish our wee morning hour meetings, just the two of us. I'm cementing in my brain how happy he is to see me communicating through a sleepy lopsided grin and as he nurses, usually, salt covered prayers wash over him. Light filled wonder at how God would see fit to share this little life with us and how His looking glass creation, an 'us' gazing up at me, is this baby boy. My mind photographs how his big, brown eyes are gulping up the world around him. Second nature are leg squeezes and his dimpled hand wrapped around my finger.
And, as parents, we high-fived and screamed in joy when he rolled over this past Wednesday. Don't know if I am more disappointed that I didn't catch his new skill on video or that I didn't get our reaction on video? How amazed and happy was I that he waited until his Dada was home from work to accomplish this feat? :) As a Momma, watching him with his Dada is a treasure. His facial expression
flies from somber to complete wide-grinned joy. When did peek-a-boo and the Itsy Bitsy Spider become our favorite past times? During this most wonderful time of the year, we've found a new daily ritual: dancing to Michael Buble's Christmas
album. Just my little man and me...and fat rolled legs flying to the beat and rosy like Daddy's cheeks with oh-so-many giggles and dimpled hands grabbing my face or chunks of my hair and all in the midst of a not-so-perfect living room. As we sway, I find myself wondering what Mary and Baby Jesus shared those first
months of his life. How did she love on the Savior of the world? Did she dance him to sleep? Was there rejoicing with His first smile or clapping when he rolled over? Thankful for the mother's heart Mary had for the Savior of the world.
My hands are shrinking is a bit of the denial in me. Yet, I can't get enough
of the newness each day brings with our baby boy. So, here's to holding onto
the babyness, cuddling every second, nose to nose kisses, and looking forward to my hands shrinking
a little more every week or so. ;)
1 comment:
Love this post!
Post a Comment