8.18.2012

Focused Fog

Although the title might seem a paradox, it is a more than fitting description of my labor and delivery experience.  The days before help to paint the picture. 

Days Leading Up to Delivery
It started the weekend before with a definite bout of contractions Sunday morning.  I felt them throughout the worship service and into the early afternoon.  Enough so, that as soon as we pulled in the driveway after church, I finished packing our hospital bags.  The rest of the week I was bone tired but had 'to-do lists' for every day.  In the meantime, SPK was working diligently to finish the basement.  Wednesday, August 1st I had my 39 week doctor's appointment.  I was a bit over 1 cm dilated and had moved to 70% effacement.  In response to my progress, Dr. K said (rather nonchalantly, I might add) "well, it might be this weekend!"  In my head, I was thinking "Really?  1 centimeter?  Okay, whatever."  Thursday, August 2nd was a day I spent running errands:  washing my car, picking up prescriptions, grocery shopping, going to the bank.  You name the normal errand list, I accomplished most of it.  As a result, I was more tired but stayed up with SPK until 11:30 PM to hang out.  I sat in our huge beanbag with Charley watching the Olympics while SPK leveled the bathroom floor.  It was a fun, laid-back night, just the three of us, together.  Little did we know, it was our last "just the three of us" night.  :)  

Friday, August 3rd--Finley's Finally Here!
At 5:12 AM, I woke up to go to the bathroom; a now every 1.5 hour addition, to my nightly routine.  I didn't think anything of it until I laid back down at 5:15 AM, turned on my side, closed my eyes, and immediately heard/felt a distinct 'Pop'.  To which I thought, "my water just broke".  I was having contractions but they were 10-13 mins. apart & I didn't need to breathe through them.  I decided I would wait until SPK's alarm went off to take any action.  At 6:45 the alarm went off and as SPK rolled over to face me, I said "Babe, my water broke."  Sleepily, he replied "Just now?" "No, at 5:15." Now, fully awake, he said "What?!"  Then, we called the hospital to explain the situation.  The nurse told us not to come in with sirens blaring, to take a shower & get here when we could.  So, we took her advice to heart. 
As planned, I called my mom.  As the minutes passed the contractions were increasing in number and I was having to breathe through them.  Still, I took a shower, got dressed, and then decided to time the contractions.  As I sat at the kitchen table for mom to do my hair, Scott asked about timing. He looked at my watch, which read 12m30sec.  He said "Is that the time between two?"  I said, "Umm, no, three."  I was having to stop talking to mom to breathe through contractions as she braided my hair and I felt like I HAD to go to the bathroom. 
Finally, we left for the hospital at 7:50 AM.  As we pulled into the hospital parking lot, my water completely broke.  At this point, I walked/waddled in, rode the elevator, & continued down the hall gripping the side rail all the way to our room, (which seemed like forever)!  We entered the room at 8:05 AM.
When in the room, I kept repeating the phrase "I have to poop".  I was sure a bowel movement was coming on!  Then, the nurse had me change to a gown and asked me to get in the bed so Dr. K could check me.  I know I gave SPK an indignant look because I was thinking "I gave you a birth plan and I do NOT want to labor in bed!"  SPK calmly said "Babe, get in the bed to be checked."  Dr. K walked in the room, said 'hello', and sat down to check me.  His eyes widened as he said "All we have is a lip!  Krista, you are getting another contraction, do not push yet!"  Then, he got on his phone with the office to tell them he woud be late, he had a delivery.  As he said the word push, I looked at my husband and said "What?!  Push?"  Then, I started 'puffing out my breathing' to try NOT to push.  So, my need to go to the bathroom?  It was our little one's head.  The pressure you learn about in birthing class was what I was feeling.  I was 9.5 cm and dilating quickly when Dr. K checked me.  The nurse did attach heart monitors to me and I think she managed to have me sign some kind of permission to treat form...and we were off to the races!
It was approximately 8:20AM.  Dr. K came back and said "NOW you can push!".  Through it all, I remember snippets of what happened.  It was like I faded in and out.  SPK was on my left side, quietly reassuring, his hand on my shoulder helping me bear down, and whenever I grabbed his hand, he would squeeze back.  The nurse on my right side was really loud as she tried to support me.  I mean, yelling loud and energetic!  Dr. K was calm and encouraging during my pushes; then, in between, he would make random conversation.  I think I only responded to him once; during labor, your manners tend to lessen considerably.  It was when he said "do you want to feel the head?  Some moms like to feel the head during labor."  My response?  "No, I can't!"  Except I was thinking, feel the head?  Are you kidding me?  I CAN ALREADY FEEL the head!" 
I kept breathing and focusing on making it through each set of pushes.  Just before what was soon to be my last set of pushes, Dr. K and the nurse's volume lessened and they started mumbling to each other.  Remember how SPK was 'quietly reassuring'?  Not anymore; he gripped my shoulder as the next contraction hit and said with raised volume and urgency "Babe, you NEED to do this.  You NEED to do this NOW."  I made eye contact with him and knew I needed to push with urgency.  The last set of pushes was five in total and I prayed to counts of 10 and 11, where before, my counts were more like 7 or 8 with sets of three.  Later, I would learn the reason for SPK's raised volume and the doctor's whispers: Finley's heart rate had started to drop.  Two inches of his head was visible & he had been in the birth canal too long in that position.  I am ever grateful to a gracious God for my husband's support and calm but urgent communication at that moment.  And, for the strength to push.  After that last set of pushes, Finley arrived with a loud cry and Dr. K's announcement of "It's a BOY!" 
After Finley was born, the nurses completed my check-in paper work and most items which are normally accomplished before the birth!  Also, they sang "you are the champion" to me, which was sweet and made me laugh.  I had an amazing experience at Lewis-Gale.  Dr. K is wonderful, which I knew, but was once again cemented for me in labor.  My nurses (Ann, Heather, Carol) were absolutely awesome!  They were attentive and personal, but they also let us have 'our time'.  The nursery nurses were helpful and patient (Sara, Carole, etc. sorry!  They were around most in the middle of the night, so name recall is not so good.)  I can not say enough positive comments about the Labor & Deliver staff at LGH...thankful for God's grace in giving us such a sweet experience as we welcomed Finley into our arms.  Thankful for a quick, safe delivery.  Thankful for our baby boy. 

1 comment:

Sarah and Adam Hubert said...

Beautiful story! What an amazing labor!!! So glad you didn't wait around at home much longer, hehe. He is doll baby! Praise God!!!