A few weeks ago, I went to take SPK dinner at work. Usually, I call him on my way from church and he meets me in the parking lot to pick it up with a quick kiss. This time I called three or four times and he didn't answer. He was probably busy and so, I decided to go inside and find him. I was walking to the back of the store when I heard a whistle behind me. I knew it was him. As I turned, butterflies found a home in my stomach. When I made eye contact with him I felt like the only girl in the world. Walking down a concrete floor towards his shrugged shoulders made my heart go from a basic beat to a pounding and the aisle surroundings of light bulbs, lawn mowers, appliances, and bathroom fixtures faded into magical. I know I beamed the whole 100 feet to him. As I drew closer, his smile echoed my soul's thoughts. My walk ended with the handing off of dinner, a small squeeze of my hand, and a light arm resting on the small of my back as he walked me to my car.
Sometimes, a hardware store walkway can take you back to the day you said 'forever'. Certain moments remind one that a kiss is overrated when being captured by a smile for one hundred feet lasts so much longer. And, even in the sweet day to day of normal, magic happens. For that, I am most thankful. To today and everyday and embracing normalcy.
1 comment:
Ahh, beautiful post!
Post a Comment