3.13.2011

Today's sermon was a challenge, yet it was a reminder of the ability of my great God to work out His will through my weaknesses. Notice, the last word of the prior sentence houses a plural noun in reference to me. The challenge was NOT to be like Samson, a man whom God deemed a savior (not the) for the people of Israel, yet Samson lived his entire life in direct opposition to that God. Samson 'tipped' God. Ev compared it to the following situation: you are at dinner with the love of your life, the waiter is good if s/he fills your water, brings your food, and stays out of your business. Often, that is how I treat God--as the waiter; instead, God should be the love of my life, that being across the table from me...I want to live in light of His grace on a daily basis versus living so people wonder where I stand. Do my actions reflect Christ? Am I repentant? Is it okay that people know I am a sinner or am I a proud person who thinks everyone else is a sinner and I am good enough? (i.e. "let him who is without sin be the first to throw stones" or "remove the plank from my own eye before judging another") My hope is that I live everyday with the image of my Saviour on the cross. He endured death on a cross, that I might live. Me. A dirty, ugly, scarred sinner. If He forgives me...who am I NOT TO FORGIVE? I'm working through this, have been working through this, and will continue to work through this. As I work, what a life-changing knowledge that Samson, that man who lived in opposition to his God, he was a trophy of grace in Hebrews 11. No, Hebrews 11 is NOT a hall of fame for the believers there; instead, it is a chapter which shouts, screams, yells from the mountaintops about the undeniable grace of an all-sufficient God who loves, adores, and forgives sinners. If I claim to know Christ, should I not act the same?
Finally, I have to make a comment on the ACC championship. Sad. I.hate.Dook. I'm not saying the Heels played well, but I would much rather lose to...say...anyone on the planet.

1 comment:

Emily and Patrick said...

Krista,

I was really challenged by the sermon today too and the "playing of the religious game" that I so often get caught up in. I looked at Patrick towards the end and said, "This is a good one." (Of course, I think every sermon Ev preaches is convicting and is a good one.)Thanks for posting the recap.

Emily