Defined, the word revelation means 'a striking disclosure, as something not before realized'. And so, in the past few weeks amidst the sad end to summer, the complete beauty of a new niece, and a comforting journey with only my hubbie, a few 'striking disclosures' presented themselves to me.
First, Scott bought a book to read on our vacation. A normal occurence, yet this book has had an immediate impact on both of us. If you do not know who Tony Dungy is, if you know who Tony Dungy is, or if you are vaguely familiar with the man, he is someone worth getting to know through his book Quiet Strength. The foremost reason I would suggest you to get to know him is because through knowing Tony Dungy you better get to know his Savior. This book came at a time (a time that continues) where life is pretty uncertain. No detail, but let's just say on a regular basis I wake up with complete confusion about where the next step in our journey might be. It is one of those times in life that trusting God, in my opinion, would be much easier, if I just had a list of what I needed to do next--a specified list. Dungy put things into perspective. Simply put God has me here, right now, for a reason. Do I need to know why or how or when? Nope. Instead, these are the times when trusting God puts my faith to the relevance test. Is His will...Are His promises enough for me? Are His mercies new every morning? Yes. So revelation #1...read Quiet Strength. (disclaimer: if you are a girl, there is a TON of football in the book. football players' and coaches' names, plays, history, etc. Use it as bonding time with your husband, because you will probably have to ask some background info questions!)
Second, I saw a truly special reality this past weekend. I saw this man, who used to be and will always be my little brother, completely in love with his wife and his new baby girl. Everyone exhudes about how amazing it is to be a parent or a grandparent, but no one has mentioned one of the incredible joys of being an Aunt. That is seeing a new step in your sibling's life, a side to him that you knew was there, but now it has taken over his entire demeanor. I had the privilege of watching my brother become an absolutely doting daddy in a matter of seconds, although I had to wait weeks. He's been deemed the 'baby hog'. That nickname is spoken with sincere jealousy (haha) and at the same time, it is a beautiful thing. To watch my brother falling in love with his little girl and her every move made my heart smile. It's unforgettable. She's his
"Catester" and he is already part of what makes her big blue eyes sparkle. Along with Cate's sparkle was Sarah's smile. She is already a great mom. It's like being Cate's mommy fit like it was what she was made to do.
Revelations are interesting. They waltz into your field of vision and look you head on until you pay attention. After it's over, you feel like you should have known that! But, I think revelations are what make the journey of life what it's all about, NOT the hokey pokey!
No comments:
Post a Comment