History
Friendship with Lizard had been brewing for a long time. God grew my love for her in the field of being family and sharing years of living under the same roof where the possibility of extreme dislike for one another was always on the brink of our minds. Nonetheless, when college separated us, our friendship was cemented in the missing one another (and each other's clothes). To this date, I can't imagine life without the sweetness of having my little sister as a close friend, encourager of my heart to pursue Christ, and sharer of life's hurts, hopes, and happenings.
Ironically or better put, providentially, Lizard (my sister) and Liz H. were friends during middle and high school. They were accountability partners along with another dear girl, Emily. For the most part, their friendship happened while I was in college, hundreds of miles away in the cornfields of Indiana. Then, the summer I returned home, both Lizs left for their collegiate careers. At this point, my greatest connection with Liz consisted of staying with her little brother when her parents went out of town. Then, years later, her mom asked me to direct her wedding. Even then, I talked more to Judie than to Liz about the wedding. I think Liz really didn't see the need for me to direct because she is ultra organized and is one of the most competent women I know when it comes to getting anything accomplished. Not needing me to direct just might have been true; however, God knew what the future held. Liz's sweet mom, Judie, was ushered to heaven one Saturday morning in early December. This loss occurred four weeks before her wedding. And, in ways only God can do, He forged our friendship in the throes of deep loss coupled with crazy joy. Since that December, Liz and I have shared our lives. She's become an accountability partner, prayed for me through my own losses, rejoiced with me in God's sweet gifts, and altogether, been a God focused listening ear for me as we've traversed being wives and now, mommies. Her friendship is more than that, it is similar to a sisterhood.
In the now...
So, I find myself again on that familiar road of learning to trust when I am thinking the situation should be different. From past experience, I realize I will look back and see God's work for His best in today, but knowing that doesn't make every waking moment easier. But, God continues to teach me how He is in the moments and the movings. He's in how I am, once again, walking the road of friendships over distance.
I'm working on being thankful for the moves which were what God intended for my Liz Squared friends and I'm truly thankful for what He continues to do in their lives as they grow to know Him more.
So, to my Liz and my other Liz...I love you both. I am a blessed girl when it comes to a simple three letter name. Your hearts challenge my own to cling to our Savior and to grow in His grace.
The following verse reminds me of both of you and your unique contributions to this girl's life.
Proverbs 16:20 & 24
Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good,
and blessed is he who trusts the Lord.
Gracious words are like a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and health to the body.
With hugs and much love.
No comments:
Post a Comment