the SOLs have started! May Days...After just recently finishing a unit based on Gary Paulsen's book "Hatchet", the idea of a plane going down with the pilot screaming "Mayday! Mayday!" seemed extremely fitting as the month of May brings SOLs. This year is a bit different. At least today, it was different. I started the day with my alarm NOT going off, which meant instead of 5:40 as my wake-up call, I rolled over a bit shocked when he sun was shining in my face to a time of 6:31!! I rolled out of bed with "oh, no" spouting off my lips and my feet stumbling to the shower; however, I was okay with it. I spent a sparse few minutes with hot steaming water waking me up and my mind going directly to speed dial my Father. It was a sweet though muddled mind time where I said "Ok, so this day is NOT going as planned and you are definitely in the driver's seat!" To boot, McDonald's was not possible for a coffee stop and yes, as I mentioned before, today was my kiddos FIRST May SOL test. Sigh. But, I gave it to Him. Every minute of it. When I realized we wouldn't be starting until really late. I said "You know how this is going to play out, I am trusting you." When I started to panic at HOW late it was and we hadn't even set foot into the lab yet, I decided to go with the flow. When I realized my kids would have to eat in utter silence, I smiled and went with it. I sat with a kid who stayed an hour after school just to finish. But, that kid completed that test.
After an entire day of craziness and unplanned events, my heart is content. What a pleasant way to end the day. And, I am proud of my students. The note on my board says their commitment to hard work and being dedicated students made "my toes tingle". I.love.my.job.
And, just last night I was saying the past 1o months have seemed like 3 years. No kidding. Three long, arduous, soul-breaking, chafing, tear jerker, didn't want to get out of bed, so heavy with sadness I thought I might break months, that were more like entire years jammed into months. But today, I saw a bright gleam on the horizon. I embraced letting go of my normal need for control and I bowed (in spirit and action) to my Father doing His thing, in His way. And, it was good, very good.
1 comment:
Love this post. I have been having SO MANY days like this lately. What a blessing to find contentment in our Father!
And I SO LOVE The Hatchet! It's one of my favs!
Post a Comment